|Gulf Energy Information takes the judging of the Petroleum Economist Awards to be a serious matter. In the interests of transparency the methodology is detailed below:
1. Petroleum Economist Awards ‘call for award nominations’ is published as an advertisement with email alerts also sent out. The nomination deadline closes Friday 28 June.
2. The award nominations that come in are sorted into their award category. A staff member passes the sorted category nominations to the first stage Petroleum Economist judging team of Peter Ramsay (Managing Editor) and another editorial member TBC
3. The Petroleum Economist judging team, independently of each other, read each of the submissions and decide if it:
The Petroleum Economist judging team grades each submission 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most suitable for the finalist list). The first stage judges pass on the top five nominations for each category, unless the total nominations exceed 15, in which case six go on to the second stage. If there are less than five entries all nominations go on to the second stage of judging.
- Meets the criteria of the category
- How worthy it is of being a finalist
While the Petroleum Economist judging team is making the finalist selections, an e-mail goes out to the advisory board (the second stage judges) asking them to select which award category(ies) they are able to judge. A board member cannot judge a category in which their employer is a finalist.
1. The Advisory board members are industry experts from the field and academia. A staff member sends a packet of the finalist selections to each advisory board member for each award category they have selected to judge.
2. With attention to confidentiality, the awards submissions are returned rated 1 to 10 and a staff member sorts the information, notes the winners and prepares the information for the Gala dinner and supplement.
3. In the unlikely event of a tie following the second stage of judging, the tie will be broken by an impartial industry expert on the Petroleum Economist staff or contributing editorial board.