Related Articles
Forward article link
Share PDF with colleagues

Senegal—steady as she goes

A ministerial departure and a supermajor arrival reflect the rising stakes in West Africa's latest upstream player, but the president is playing it cool

Senegal is being well and truly blooded as a new oil and gas province. And as in the tradition of frontier exploration, the geopolitical risk is becoming murkier, as the list of discoveries grows. In the latest episode, the energy minister was sacked by President Macky Sall on the same day in early May that it was announced that France's Total had signed an agreement covering exploration and a production sharing contract for the 10,357 sq km Rufisque Offshore Profond block off the central Senegalese coast and would also assess the potential of Senegal's ultra-deepwater acreage. Total will hold a 90% stake in the block, with state oil company Petrosen taking the other 10%. Sall has given no

Also in this section
North Sea oil's rock hoppers
19 January 2018
Shell is happy to give the Penguins project a helping hand
Latest licensing rounds
19 January 2018
The industry's most comprehensive list of current and recent rounds for onshore and offshore licenses
Guyana—at the frontier
19 January 2018
ExxonMobil and its partner are racing ahead with their major Liza discovery in Guyana, at Latin America's exploration frontier. Others are struggling to replicate the success