Related Articles
Forward article link
Share PDF with colleagues

Bulgaria: RWE pulls out of nuclear project

RWE'S DECISION to pull out of a project to build a nuclear plant in Bulgaria gives Russia a chance to secure a position in Europe's nuclear power sector. German utility company RWE was selected in 2008 as the strategic partner to build and operate the proposed 2 gigawatt (GW) Belene plant in conjunction with the state-owned electricity firm, NEK, which is now part of the country's energy holding company, BEH. The state held a 51% stake in the project, with RWE holding the other 49%. The terms of the deal required the German company to pay €0.5bn ($0.74bn) for the project's structuring and to invest another €1.2bn during the initial stages of development. But the global economic crisis ma

Also in this section
Morocco's renewables revolution
19 October 2017
The kingdom is expanding its use of solar and wind power rapidly through research and innovation, say Badr Ikken General Director of the Research Institute for Solar Energy and New Energies of Morocco (IRESEN) and Zakaria Naimi, its Director of Photovoltaic and Electric Systems
Solar PV growth outpaces all other fuels — and will continue to grow
11 October 2017
Renewables broke new records in 2016, largely as a result of booming solar photovoltaics (PV) deployed in the People’s Republic of China, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA)
The other damaging glut
2 October 2017
Emissions-trading systems have suffered from an oversupply of permits. Regulators are trying to fix that and show the mechanisms can still work